Make difference in your community!
Inclusion NWT Family & Children’s Services seeks exceptional individuals to work as a Respite Worker on a casual basis (3-10 hours per week).
Please see attached job description and please note: qualifications call for an individual with varied interests who is well-read and appreciates art and photography. Specific work will involve meeting with Yellowknife residents living with dementia for conversation, table games and other shared activities.
Respite Worker (casual)
Family and Children’s Services (home service)
Purpose and Scope of Position
Inclusion NWT is a nonprofit organization providing services to clients with intellectual disabilities and their families, helping them to live meaningful lives in supportive communities.
Respite Care provides planned relief for families and the people with disabilities that they care for. Respite Workers carry out duties usually performed by the families in the day-to-day support of their loved ones with disabilities. This can be done in the family home or in the community. Physical requirements may vary depending on the disability of the Care Recipient and could include assistance with mobility, toileting, transferring from bed to chair, etc
This position works with the family and individual to engage in interactions and activities that are engaging and of interest to the individual and support social involvement and communication. Working with individuals with varying abilities requires attention to detail, ability to follow directions, as well as accurate listening skills.
Reports to Manager, Family and Children’s Services
- Ensures timely and thorough communication with families regarding periods of respite.
- Promotes choice and decision making according to the needs and preferences of the individual and his/her family
- Carries out activities that move toward mutually determined goals for each individual receiving respite support
- Develops and participates in interesting and stimulating activities that are care recipient focused (in keeping with individual family preferences that are both in-home and community based)
- Prepares written reports of client goal plans, planning and other reports as required
- Ensures that the needs and rights of the client are of prime importance in all decisions
- Demonstrates flexibility and creativity in providing respite support to families
- Follows all of Inclusion NWT’s policies and procedures as outlined in the training program, orientation sessions, Policy Manual, and Respite Worker Resource Manual
- Shares with the Family and Children Services Manager, in a timely and thorough manner, any information affecting respite service
- Works collaboratively with all people who support respite recipients and their families. This could include, but is not limited to; Family and Children Services Manager, coworkers, and staff of Inclusion NWT
- Completes the mandatory training program and necessary updates as required by Inclusion NWT (First Aid and CPR, Criminal Record Check, vehicle insurance, etc)
- Other duties as required
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Understanding of personal boundaries and the necessary assertiveness to maintain and enforce boundaries
- Ability to communicate with clients with intellectual and other disabilities
- Ability to adjust support methods to meet the needs of clients and to increase skill and participation
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to work cooperatively and professionally
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good crisis intervention skills
- Basic computer skills including word processing and electronic mail
- Ability to show initiative, flexibility, and practicality
- Knowledge of and the ability to work with clients of varying cultural backgrounds
- Non-judgmental attitude and commitment to full community participation for people with disabilities
- Relevant Diploma
- Criminal Records Check
- Driver’s License
- First Aid and CPR Certification
- Crisis Intervention Training
- Some outdoor work in adverse weather conditions
- Ability to lift 23 kg